A youth group aligned with the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has commended the President’s handling of the coronavirus situation in Ghana.
According to Concerned Voters Movement (CVM) President Akufo-Addo’s competence in handling the pandemic that has hit Ghana “has greatly exposed the incompetence of John Mahama.”
In a press statement, the group said it was unfortunate how some elements of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) try to compare Ebola to the new coronavirus, stating that while one is a pandemic, the other is an epidemic.
“Coronavirus is pandemic unlike Ebola which was an epidemic. Currently, Coronavirus has affected the lives of over 1, 275, 146 resulting in the deaths of about 69, 503 people.
“Ebola was an Epidemic which affected the lives of about 28, 646 resulting in the deaths of about 11, 323 people mainly in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, UK, Spain, Italy, United States of America,” the group said in a press release issued by its Founder and President, Razak Kojo Opoku.
The statement added further: “The magnitude of leadership demonstrated by NPP government in this era of coronavirus pandemic has proven beyond reasonable doubt that President Akufo-Addo shall be the obvious choice for the good people of Ghana comes December 7, 2020,”
The group further listed the following as proof of President Nana Akufo-Addo’s exemplary leadership:
1. Setting up of the National COVID-19 Trust Fund to aid the Government’s fight against the spread of Coronavirus pandemic in Ghana.
2. No Water Bills for 3 Months, that is, Ghanaians to enjoy free water for 3 months.
3. Free transportation for Health Workers.
4. Three (3) Months Tax Holiday for Health Workers.
5. GHC 350, 000.00 insurance package for each health personnel and allied professional at the forefront of the fight against the Coronavirus outbreak.
6. Daily allowance of one hundred and fifty cedis to contact tracers.
7. All frontline health workers to receive an additional allowance of 50% of their basic salary per month for March, April, May and June 2020.
8. 400 personnel drawn from the Police, Military, Fire Service and Prison Service to embark on cleaning of gutters, collection and disposal of garbage from homes, public places, markets and vehicle terminals.
9. Empowering Local Firms to produce Hand Sanitizers and Personal Protective Equipment(PPEs).
10. Collaboration with the local Pharmaceutical Companies.
11. Global Recognition for Ghana.