May 17, 2021
Menu

National Identification Authority, NIA, to resume registration -Minister declares

William Sabi, Deputy of Monitoring and Evaluation addressing the media at Parliamen

The Deputy Minister of Monitoring and Evaluation, William Sabi has indicated that the National Identification Authority will continue its registration of Ghanaians in the Eastern Region in spite of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Speaking to Parliamentary Journalists on the ruling by an Accra Court dismissing an application against NIA, The Deputy Minister said, he was delighted by the ruling.

According to him, NIA has never and will never go contrary to the presidential directive in relation to regular hand washing and social distance among others to prevent the spread of the virus.

He said, NIA Officials are mindful of the fact that any breach could lead to disaster, therefore, “we’re doing the registration by appointment of five, we provided hand sanitizers to them as directed by the president”.

An Accra High Court on Friday, 27th March, 2020 dismissed an application filed against the National Identification Authority (NIA) registration exercise which was on-going in the Eastern Region.

The Court presided over by Justice Anthony Oppong said the exercise was not part of the President’s directive to prevent the spread of COVID-I9.

Due to that the Court was working but observing hygiene protocols, the court added.

It said Applicants did not also demonstrate the right to be protected.

It therefore awarded a cost of 6,000 cedis against the Applicants.

Two citizens Mark Oliver Kevor and Emmanuel Okrah filed a case in court asking that the NIA be stopped from carrying out its registration exercise.

They maintain the exercise is contrary to the social distancing directives issued by President Akufo-Addo in the wake of the Covid-19 cases recorded in Ghana.

A different division of the High Court presided over by Justice Daniel Mensah on March 23 granted a similar request filed by businessman Prince Tabi and 29 others.

This injunction is to be in force for the next 10 days since March 23. The NIA has since called of its exercise citing the application filed by Kevor and others.

The AG’s office which is joined as a defendant in this action filed two applications in court.

The first asking the court to hear the injunction motion filed by the two citizens earlier than usual. The other asking the court to dismiss the application for an injunction.

Lawyer for the two citizens Nii Kpapko Samoa Addo on Thursday urged the court to dismiss the request to have the case heard earlier than usual.

He maintained the rules of court required that they are served with such an application three days before the court date.

He also argued that the High Court differently constituted had already granted an injunction in respect of the same facts.

Deputy Attorney General Godfred Yeboah Dame disagreed maintaining the state’s request is legal. He also urged the court to disregard the reference to a granted injunction since that was not a matter before the court.

Source: Gbconline

601
0Shares

National Identification Authority, NIA, to resume registration -Minister declares

William Sabi, Deputy of Monitoring and Evaluation addressing the media at Parliamen

The Deputy Minister of Monitoring and Evaluation, William Sabi has indicated that the National Identification Authority will continue its registration of Ghanaians in the Eastern Region in spite of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Speaking to Parliamentary Journalists on the ruling by an Accra Court dismissing an application against NIA, The Deputy Minister said, he was delighted by the ruling.

According to him, NIA has never and will never go contrary to the presidential directive in relation to regular hand washing and social distance among others to prevent the spread of the virus.

He said, NIA Officials are mindful of the fact that any breach could lead to disaster, therefore, “we’re doing the registration by appointment of five, we provided hand sanitizers to them as directed by the president”.

An Accra High Court on Friday, 27th March, 2020 dismissed an application filed against the National Identification Authority (NIA) registration exercise which was on-going in the Eastern Region.

The Court presided over by Justice Anthony Oppong said the exercise was not part of the President’s directive to prevent the spread of COVID-I9.

Due to that the Court was working but observing hygiene protocols, the court added.

It said Applicants did not also demonstrate the right to be protected.

It therefore awarded a cost of 6,000 cedis against the Applicants.

Two citizens Mark Oliver Kevor and Emmanuel Okrah filed a case in court asking that the NIA be stopped from carrying out its registration exercise.

They maintain the exercise is contrary to the social distancing directives issued by President Akufo-Addo in the wake of the Covid-19 cases recorded in Ghana.

A different division of the High Court presided over by Justice Daniel Mensah on March 23 granted a similar request filed by businessman Prince Tabi and 29 others.

This injunction is to be in force for the next 10 days since March 23. The NIA has since called of its exercise citing the application filed by Kevor and others.

The AG’s office which is joined as a defendant in this action filed two applications in court.

The first asking the court to hear the injunction motion filed by the two citizens earlier than usual. The other asking the court to dismiss the application for an injunction.

Lawyer for the two citizens Nii Kpapko Samoa Addo on Thursday urged the court to dismiss the request to have the case heard earlier than usual.

He maintained the rules of court required that they are served with such an application three days before the court date.

He also argued that the High Court differently constituted had already granted an injunction in respect of the same facts.

Deputy Attorney General Godfred Yeboah Dame disagreed maintaining the state’s request is legal. He also urged the court to disregard the reference to a granted injunction since that was not a matter before the court.

Source: Gbconline

601
0Shares
People are reading